When I was growing up, our home seemed to always be the place friends would gather. Perhaps this was because I was one of five energetic daughters whose parents valued living life in community, or maybe it was because my mom always had the best snacks! Regardless, I learned to appreciate the value of a table that always had room for an unexpected guest, and a home which was a safe place to share life together.
Today, these values are expressed in how I choose to spend my time. Professionally, I am a Realtor, and experience tremendous joy in helping a client move on to their next chapter. My husband and I are privileged to have a home that’s a refuge, a place where friends can gather for a simple meal.
Why the blog? I have a collection of old copper pots that remind me of the ageless beauty of a hearty meal shared with loved ones, and thought it would be fun to tell a few of their stories.
Here are a few of my favorite things to have around the kitchen:
- salt & pepper mills
- cloth napkins
- aluminum trays
- extra-wide, heavy duty foil
- parchment paper
- I sharpen my knives every other week
- fun apron
- variety of homemade stock in pint containers in the deep freeze
- olive oil, and extra virgin olive oil on stand-by next to the range
- large stack of kitchen towels
Things I can do without:
- olives (honestly, I’ve TRIED to like them!)
- I’ll let you know when I come across something else
Biggest influences, in order of appearance
- Alton Brown – because of his food science. Who else could do a whole show about something as simple as milk??
- Molly Stevens – because my husband likes her food so much, it’s good for my sex life.
- Cooks Illustrated – because I’m a gear girl and I like my equipment and recipes tested
- Julia Child – because she influenced all of the people who influenced me (and she grew up in my neighborhood here in Pasadena)
- Thomas Keller – even though it takes at least 2 days to make any of his recipes!
- Food & Wine magazine – love their innovative recipes
- Honorable mentions … Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Bobby Flay, David Tanis, Julee Rosso, A16 restaurant, Julienne’s restaurant, and Epicurious.com